Saturday, March 8, 2008

Two Little Shadows

The girls have officially entered the "copycat" stage, which is something my doctor has assured me is entirely normal for every toddler and usually precedes the "why?" stage. For the past few weeks, it seems that everything I do, say, and mumble is picked up on and mimicked by either AK or Roo. It's mildly entertaining to me, but the two of them seem to get a kick out of it - in fact, they think it is down right hilarious to act as my echo...echo......echo.......echo.......

Ahhhh...the memories of childhood games of copy cat are flooding back ("Hi!" "Hi" What do you want to do today? "What do you want to do today?" "I asked you first" "I asked you first" Why are you copying me?" "Why are you copying me?" "Mom, Tommy's copying me!" "Mom, Tommy's copying me!" "Stop it!!" "Stop it!!").

At least as a parent, I can value these current games of shadowing as a much-needed reminder to be aware of what I say and how I say it. It's not like I usually curse or swear or release profanities, the content of my speech is generally safe and guarded; I guess it just means that lately I have been much more cautious of my tone and volume and my facial expressions. Right now, the last things I want to teach the girls are sarcasm, rudeness, or insincerity. They'll have the rest of their lives to learn that, and the rest of the world to learn it from. I guess, my now overly-cautious verbiage is another attempt to keep my girls sweet and innocent for just a little while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment