Sunday, October 7, 2007

Insomnia

Yes - here I am, on the computer at 1:44 am...another night of not being able to sleep. AK developed a fever today - it could be that she's teething, or maybe she caught cold from the meager 80 degree temperatures we have been blessed with the past few days (Hallelujah!). Either way, I seem to have developed paranoia-related insomnia and find myself unable to go to sleep because I know as soon as I manage to drift off to lullaby land, AK will simultaneously wake up and I will need to tend to my firstborn child. Maybe, if I am lucky, I will be able to get some snuggles from a mid-morning awakening. The girls are growing so independent, cuddle-time is at an all time low. It makes me sad to see my 2 little babies growing so quickly, but yet there is such joy in seeing the many amazing and wonderful ways that they are developing.

Our latest challenge has been to learn names. Aiden can say Reilly, and Reilly can say Aiden, but they have yet been able to master saying their own names. As far as they are concerned "ME" is the only word they need to know to identify themselves.

The girls are following in their Auntie Em's tastes - AristoCats has fast become their favorite movie. The "kikis" (a.k.a kitties) seem to be the current infatuation, with monkies (pronounced "moan-ki" by Roo) and early morning cartoons (mainly Handy Manny, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and The Doodlebops) falling close behind. Doug is already fretting since the girls seem to have inherited not just my liking of dance, but my profound sense of rhythm as well. Dancing and twirling and grooving are great ways to pass the time away! Also, the cooler temperatures have been a welcome invite to spend more time outdoors, so playtime at the park is an almost daily occurrence. It seems that no matter where we go, Roo must place anything that comes into contact with her hands into her mouth. While I no longer enter into a state of instant panic each time I see this happen, I do wonder just how long this habit of taste-testing sand, soil, rocks, litter, grass, and "who knows what else" is going to last.

3 comments:

  1. I really, really hope that AK didn't get sick from Keegs...if so, I'm truly sorry! We love you guys and miss you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that even with all the miles that separate our little ones, they are still interested in the same things - namely kitties!! And I'm sorry about the Doodlebops infatuation - they nearly drove me crazy for a time. A still loves the songs, but we make it fun by mixing up the name and calling them the Smoodlesmops and things like that. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you get some sleep. i deffinetly feel your pain about now sleep. isnt it amazing how much we can do with no sleep.
    kary

    ReplyDelete