Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Papa...papa sick"

This is what the girls have been saying for the past few days, since Doug has had the misfortune of contracting the FLU. It started on Thursday, when Doug came home early from work feeling light-headed and feverish. We thought he finally broke the fever late Friday night, but his temperature spiked back up midday Saturday. He's had a nasty cough, and every single bone/joint/organ/cell in his body seems to hurt. In the four days since this nasty sickness started, Doug has only been able to stomach 4 pieces of bread, 1 bowl of chicken broth, 1 bowl of spaghetti-o's (who would have thought, right?), about 6 bottles of Gatorade, and some water.

Fortunately (for Doug), the girls have snuck in to the bedroom and given their papa all sorts of extra snuggles, hugs, and kisses. Yesterday afternoon, A climbed into bed and started rubbing Doug's head while saying "It's okay papa...it's okay papa." Both girls have been super sweet to their suffering papa...their care and concern is something I should learn from.

I am afraid that I have not been as sympathetic as I probably should be...with Doug out of commission, I have had the sole responsibility of being caretaker, housekeeper, referee, household accountant, all while working 2 part-time jobs, attending school, and trying to keep my sanity. I have always considered myself to be a strong woman, but this latest challenge leaves me doubting a LOT.

P.S. Other than a 24-hour episode of nausea for me (NO-it was not morning sickness, and NO I am not pregnant), and a mild fever for A, the girls and I are faring quite well against the influenza bug. For any skeptics out there, let this post be proof that getting a flu shot truly is worth it!!

2 comments:

  1. B -(I am channeling my inner Gossip Girl) I am SOOOOO sorry to hear about what's going on - wish I could be there in 1,000 ways to help you out, give you a break and probably some much needed rest. Hang in there and call me any time you need to scream, vent, cry, etc! XOXO - J

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so sorry you all are sick. We all have colds but thankfully has not turned in to the flu....yet. you will be in our prayers. another job? where are you working? love to you guys from us

    ReplyDelete