Monday, September 15, 2008

Birthday Wish

Even though my birthday is not for another 2 months, I decided today what I want - I am going to participate in the 21st Annual Phoenix Walk on the Wild Side 5-mile run. All the proceeds go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, which is a wonderful organization dedicated to researching, treating, and educating people about MS. I have seen first hand the devastating effects this disease can have on people, but I have also been fortunate to see inspiring examples of strength, courage, and optimism from individuals who live with this disease.

The run will take place on Thursday November 8, 2008 (that's my birthday!) from 8:00 - 10:00 am. The course will go through the Phoenix Zoo and Desert Botanical Garden. For anyone who lives in the area and may be interested in joining in, feel free to contact me with questions or you can click here for information on the event.

There is no registration fee for the event, but each participant is asked to raise funds for the event. If you would like to support my fundraising efforts and make a tax-deductible donation, please visit my personal page by clicking here. Any amount, big or small, helps make a difference in the lives of people with MS and would be greatly appreciated by me. No worries if you aren't able to make a donation - moral support and encouragement would be just as appreciated - especially since I haven't participated in a running event for YEARS.

I have been saying for quite a while that I want to get back into running; now that I have committed myself to participating in this run and helping this cause, I should have more than enough motivation to get up out of bed and get my feet moving. I doubt I will be setting any course records this year, especially since I have determined to do this while pushing the double-wide stroller, but it's not the pace that is important, it's the cause that matters.

Needless to say, I am really excited about doing this run - who knows, maybe even Doug will get the urge to Walk on the Wild Side and join in the fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hi becky, we are planning to do it so we will start getting donations and donate ourselves. All 5 of us are going to walk it! david and I are excited! so do we Donate under our name or under yours?

    ReplyDelete