Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Best Buds

Most kids, at some point in their infant/toddler years, will develop a special bond with a favorite toy, stuffed animal, or blanket. According to "parenting experts," this special friend will provide the child with comfort, confidence, and a sense of security. While I honestly don't know what my "lovey" was as a baby, I remember developing a special attachment to a fluffy pink teddy bear my grandfather Peterson gave to me when I was a young girl. The pink teddy bear was a staple addition to my bed from the time I got it up until I was in college (yes, I will admit to snuggling "Pinky" well beyond my childhood years). And, if I remember correctly, Doug became particularly attached to a blanket that his grandmother made for him.

So, why am I bringing this up in today's blog? Well, as many of you know, AK and Roo have developed special bonds with two particular stuffed animals - a large cheetah and a teddy bear. To say these two companions are "well-loved" would not do them justice; they are so ratty I doubt that even Goodwill would take them. I could wash them a million times and still would not be able to get out the smell of old milk, goldfish crackers, and baby lotion. Cheetah has permanently lost both eyes and has had to have reconstructive surgery on his tail, and Teddy has had to have his head reattached numerous times. In the circumstance one of these friends cannot be located, it creates an instant meltdown of genuine tears and hysterics that can only be resolved by said friend's re-appearance. These two special "lovey's" have been faithful companions to many doctor's visits, hospital visits, and overnight trips to places other than home. They must accompany the girls everywhere we go - to the store, the mall, the bank, the park, an evening walk, or a Sunday drive.

I know this friendship with these stuffed animals will not last forever (although I am sure it will continue for many more years to come), so this blog is meant as a simple tribute to AK and Roo's Best Buds.

Roo's Best Bud: "Teddy"

AK's Best Bud: "Lion" (The Identity-Confused Cheetah)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad our kids are over their loveys. Tink and Magee have blankets and lovey animals they occasionally want, but Ak and Roo take the cherry on top for it. Funny animals they love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K recently lost her "lovey" at the Children's Museum (we think) and still asked for Monkey whenever she goes down for a nap or for the night. Sometimes in her sleep she will call out for him. "Monkey, Monkey!" Maybe I should just go get her another one from B&N and tell her monkey came home!

    ReplyDelete