Thursday, February 21, 2008

Foot in Mouth

Okay, so for all those people who seem to think that a lady with a belly = an expectant mother, let me clear something up for you - NO, it is NOT okay to make the assumption that someone is pregnant based on the size of her mid-section. It is embarrassing and awkward for the askee to have to explain that she is, in fact, not pregnant, and it simply makes the asker look like a total imbecile.
Maybe I am giving mankind too much credit, but you would think that most people would have the common sense not to ask someone "Oh, so when are you due?" or "Do you know the sex of the baby yet?" as if these are normal conversation starters. Sorry folks, but making the erroneous assumption that someone is pregnant is NOT the best way to break the ice.
Yes, I am aware that I still have a bit of a tummy, but it's not for lack of trying. Despite my efforts, I cannot rid myself of the excess weight around my middle - I partly blame genetics, but it's mainly due to the fact that I gained 70+ pounds in less than 9 months. Believe me, I am critical enough about my weight and how I look, I do not need some random person confirming the fact that I have an imperfect belly.
Bottom line - if a person is pregnant and they wanted you to know, they would tell you...if you are unsure, please - do us less-than-perfect women a favor and keep those lips sealed!

3 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this one. I get it ALL the time. Just be glad your tummy is smaller than mine - and I only had 1 baby in there (at a time). We love you so don't listen to other people. You are just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are perfect to me! Love your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, even if you were pregnant, it's not really the business of random strangers to know when you are due or what the sex of the baby is. I'm sorry that you have had to deal with such inconsiderate people. Unfortunately not all people are raised with common sense and decency...oh yeah, and respect for other people's feelings.

    ReplyDelete