Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Journaling Through Lists

Journal writing is something I have always struggled with. Since my 8th birthday I think I have accumulated around 6 or 7 journals, none of which have more than 20 pages of writing in them. Pathetic, I know.

The other night, however, I came across this website (www.listography.com) that offers a new approach to journaling - it calls it "listography." This lady, Lisa Nola, has created a few different books that help people (like me) write an autobiography of sorts by using lists. As Ms. Nola describes it, "Reading a list is like looking at an old photograph; there's an essence of you in there....I hope that the books serve as inspiration and as a practical personal tool, but also as a catalyst for reflection. You may uncover a few things that have been filed away by your highly efficient brain."

I don't know why I didn't think of this on my own, but the approach totally hit home with me. After all, I write lists for everything else - shopping, homework assignments, To-Do's, etc...why not apply this same concept of list-writing to my journal-writing? It is so simple in theory, and yet so ingenious that I'm kicking myself for not coming up with it on my own.

Anyway, since one of the main reasons I started this blog was to help journal my experiences, I have decided I am going to incorporate the "listography approach" to my blog writing. It's quick, easy, and will be a helpful jumping point to get myself into more regular journal writing. Just thought I would let you all know in advance, that way you won't wonder "what the heck is going on" when you see my journaling lists in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment