Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sugar and Spice....Not Quite!

On the email we sent out announcing the twins births, we used the phrase "Sugar and Spice, not once but twice." I thought it was pretty catchy at the time, but I think I may have jinxed myself into thinking the girls were going to grow up into totally sweet and innocent gals. Boy, did I have myself fooled! If I had known then what I know now, the announcement title probably would have read "Spirit and Sass, a feisty little lass, multiply that by two and what's a parent to do?" And that's just the beginning...I'm not witty enough to think of something that could also describe the twins' independence, stubbornness, quick-wittedness, or tendencies for mischief.

That being said, the girls can turn on a dime and be the sweetest most loving things on the planet. Take for example the other day - AK has been extremely difficult throughout the morning and by noon I had had enough of the unnecessary tantrums; I had told her the next time she went into hysterics, she would be marched right back to her room - without Cheetah or her sippy cup - where she would spend the rest of the afternoon by herself. About 20 minutes later, I was sitting on the couch, trying to pay bills or something, and seriously on the verge of tears (what else is a desperate mama supposed to do when she is at her wits end?) when AK came running up to me out of no where, hopped up silently on the couch, wrapped her arms tightly around my neck and said "It's okay mama. I love you." Instantly, everything else just disappeared. All the frustration and anger and self-doubt melted away and all I felt was love - complete, unrestricted, unfathomable love - for my sweet, spirited, sassy girls.

As difficult as our little monsters may be at times, I wouldn't trade them or their sassiness for anything. Seriously, all they have to do is look at me with their beautiful big blue eyes and I'm toast....I'll forgive them completely for any earlier hassle or tantrums. Sure, there are times when I feel like throwing in the towel and saying "I'm done...I can't do this...they'd be better off without me." But then I experience moments like these, moments of "pure sugar," and I realize life just wouldn't be the same without my two feisty little gals.

AK Roo

No comments:

Post a Comment